Looking around the assortment of things, I would somehow always be drawn to books. In the end, I had unconsciously(tipu) brought myself to a secondhand bookstore. It's amazing what you would be able to find. Browsing around, I found myself caught in the children's section and found books I grew up with, transporting me to a time where I had all the leisure time of doing whatever I pleased. Books I would never find on shelves of local major bookstores were just there, tucked beneath heaps of other childrens' books. The Magic Schoolbus and Strega Nona among others.



I ended up buying a few for my little brothers, sharing the joy I once had in reading these books(sebenarnya sendiri nak baca lagi). As I was about to pay, the Chinese lady at the counter smiled as I was carrying a pile of books before her. Curiously, she casually made conversation.
Lady: Are you buying books for your kids or your sisters?
Me : (Smiling) No, I'm buying for my brothers. Do I look that old to have kids?
Lady: (Laughing) That's what I was wondering whether you were a young mother buying books for your kids.
Me : No, no just for my younger siblings.
Lady: (Smiles yet with a startled look, like it was odd for people to buy books for their siblings.)
Me : (Paid, said thank you and left.)
I thanked my lucky stars that Sarah was at another shop and wasn't with me then or else I could imagine how hard she'd be laughing.
I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. --Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991
No comments:
Post a Comment