Thursday, November 16, 2006

Count Your Blessings

Today I made the 1 and a half hour drive home after realizing I didn't have any classes tomorrow. I also have a cousin's wedding to attend. Upon reaching home and waiting for what felt like forever before my mom finally opened the gates, I was greeted by a peck on the cheek from my 10yo bro.

He's very affectionate unlike my youngest bro who'd squirm and wriggle away when I smother him with kisses. Yang sorang ni pasrah je. I don't really kiss the big ones coz they always stink... heck I don't know of what but they just stink, haha. But I digress.

My youngest brother had 2 friends over from his sekolah agama. You see, my brothers go to this religion school in a kampung area. It seemed like the nearest one around and it was important that they had a proper religion schooling apart from the mengaji and agama subject taught in school. I really cannot fathom the schooling system in this state but it's just different from what I've grown accustomed to.

My mom and I suka layan budak-budak, especially the witty ones. These kids my brother invited home were from what we could conclude, from below average class families. But I swear they were the most polite 9yo's I've ever met. They posessed a form of maturity that is definitely not common among any 9yo's I've ever come across. Not even my brother. We got a chance to borak-borak with them over fries and chicken drummets...

Mom: Habistu lepas sekolah awak duduk rumah nenek, malam makan rumah nenek ke balik rumah?

Boy: Balik rumah, ayah jemput. Makan kat rumah, kadang-kadang tak makan.

Mom: Apsal tak makan pulak?

Boy: Takde lauk.

Mom: Eh apasal pulak takde lauk? Mak awak tak masak ke? Beli makanan ke?

Boy: Yela takde lauk sebab takde duit.

Can you believe it? Some of us takde duit nak makan pun. How deeply menginsafkan is that? Despite all that, I think the parents raised pretty good, smart, decent kids.

Mom: Banyak dapat duit raya?

Boy: *pouts* Takdela banyak sangat.

Mom: Kenapa? Tak banyak jalan raya ke?

Boy: Banyak jugak jalan, tapi ada rumah orang tak bagi duit raya.

Me: Awak mintak je laaa! (saje nak test)

Boy: Eh seganla, tak kan nak mintak. Tak baik mintak dengan orang duit tauu.

Me: Ooh dapat makan kira okela tu kan?

Boy: Ha'ah! *grins*

It doesn't take much to excite and put a smile on some of us.



Who does not thank for little will not thank for much. --Estonian Proverb


We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. --Cynthia Ozick

No comments:

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com