Friday, April 24, 2009

Silence is Golden

If you've read my blog up until now, you'll notice (or not) that I have never written anything on politics mostly because of my lack of knowledge thereof. As much as we're all affected by politics in this country, it is a topic I will refrain myself from talking about as much as I can. Besides, political blogs are in abundance, so you can feed your political needs there. However, there is a misconception I'd like to rectify in the minds of some.

My issue with political debates is how people are always blindly relating politics and the government. For those in the dark, who are only talking about politics based on what they feel; picketing here picketing there about things they don't know and assuming hence associating ALL working in the government as those involved in politics, please... time for a reality check.

There are government servants who are just merely government servants. Not politicians. So get that right for a start. Sure, politicians are heads of the government but people who run them are not politicians. People like my father, who works his ass off sampai botak-botak kepala but has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I know many who can attest to this. Teachers, doctors, military officers and many others who are just trying to make a decent living to feed their family. And I don't mean office politics... that's a whole different story. 

There are a couple of people I know however, who are obsessed with politics; who go on and on but in actuality, they don't have even an inkling of clue of what goes on about it. A few weeks ago, I went for this documentary screening with Kai about saving the Palest1nians. It was a major eye-opener and there were so many things I learnt about the whole G4za situation I would not have known had I relied my source of information on the papers alone. 


What I didn't know was that it was a major event, one that came out in the news with the minister and head NGOs present. By the time the screening ended, a Q&A session was held. Present were moderator, Palest1nian Abassador and a W1sma Putr4 personnel. It started off well until one so-called NGO volunteer naik sheikh kat situ. He wasn't asking questions... he was stating things he thought he knew. The moderator kept saying, "Stick to the wall... stick to the wall  (Ir0n Wall documentary)," but the guy went on and on. In the end, he was addressing the audience and not the panel. 


His statements had clearly offended the Palestin1an Ambassador and it got a little loud between the two. I actually panicked because it began to get slightly rowdy and I hate situations like that because I can feel myself shifting in my seat. The audience lagi satu masalah, they were applauding him. What the heck are you applauding about? Ni la dia orang obsessed pasal politik sampai tak tau mana betul mana salah. 

And that's what gets to me... in a bad way. Ada sorang penglipur lara bercakap kat depan dan penyokong-penyokong bodoh sokong kat belakang. Padahal, tukang cerita tak tau fakta dia, si penyokong tak faham apa yang disokongnya.  

It is so very easy to get swayed and lost in politics when you're in too deep. I think you just need to keep it real. And if you don't know what you're talking about especially where politics is concerned, it is best to keep in mind that silence is indeed golden.

No comments:

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com