Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lost In... Age?

Being a kid is probably one of the best moment in one's life, at least it was for me. It saddens me how children these days are so eager to grow up. I see school kids in malls and from the look of it probably just fresh into high school cladded in heels and heavy make up pretending to be all adult-like. Sometimes I am so tempted to grab them by the neck and tell them,

"Embrace your childhood kiddo! It ain't ever coming back!"

Because really, it won't. I think I only knew how to put on makeup after high school and guess what, I'm still learning. What do these kids have to camouflage? Is peer pressure in school really that bad these days?


I remember a scene in Raising Helen where Kate Hudson and Hayden Panettiere were in a fight,
Audrey Davis: You treat me like a child, I am not a child!
Helen Harris: Yes, you are, you are a child Audrey and you deserve a childhood and you should fight for it but if you wont, then I will.
And I remember telling myself that someday when I do have kids, I would give my best to provide them a proper childhood and not rush them into adulthood. I had a schoolmate from back in primary who went to 3 different high schools and somehow went to college even before any of us sat for SPM, let alone enter Form 5. It's just wrong to deny your children of a childhood they so much deserve.

Then just a few days ago, we were all gathered at my uncle's place... a whole lot of us and started to story-storylah about what my cousins wanted to be when they grow up. For me a bit too latelah kan. The best answer would have to be from my 7yo cousin who just made it into Standard 1.
Luqman's Dad: Luqman dah besar nak jadi apa?
Luqman: Luqman nak jadi ustaz lepas tu nak jasi SUPERMAN!
Luqman's Dad: Apsal nak jadi ustaz?
Luqman: Sebab abah suruhlah!
All he really wanted... was just to be Superman. Oh the innocence of a child! I remember the days I wanted to be a cashier thinking I would be rich from all the money people were paying me.

And then I grew up.

No comments:

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com