Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm Malay and Malaysian and Bloody Darn Proud Of It!

A few days ago, my friend and I were having this conversation about how atrocious customer service is in upscale designer boutiques(by that I mean not all) and how they tend to make this misconception that only celebrities and mat saleh's can afford such opulence. He was telling me about walking into this store with his fiancée with the intention of scouting for potential wedding gifts in one of the most affluent boutiques in the heart of KL.

Him: Ko tau, aku masuk la butik P* (bukan nama sebenar) nak tengok-tengok la handbag dengan tunang aku. Pastu aku angkat satu bag ni nak belek, ko tau salesgirl tu cakap apa? Dengan terkocoh-kocohnya dia datang berlari kat aku cakap, "Excuse me please don't touch!"

Me: Mengarut, dah tuh kalau ko nak beli boleh tengok je la?

Him: Itu ah dia, macam jijik sangat je aku ni nak handle bag dia pun takleh. Mat saleh masuk terus layan. Aku dengan tunang aku dia buat bodoh je. Ingat aku takde duit ke? Aku boleh beli laaaaaaa!

Me: Alahh, mat saleh masuk pakai kaftan dengan selipar jepun pun dia layan.

Him: Menyirap betul aku. Walapun aku masuk kedai tu pakai shorts, tapi aku pakai collared shirt tau and kasut aku mahal ok!

Me:
Hahahahhahaha!

Part last tu memang I kenot tahanla. I'm not sure about the rest of you but this is a very common scene. At the risk of sounding racist, it normally happens with ca ya nun alif salesgirls. There are however some exclusive stores that offer great customer service like C*, F*, CH* (bukan nama sebenar).

Last week in the same department store, I casually strolled into boutique S* (juga bukan nama sebenar) hoping I could get a little something for my mother. The salesgirl was superb, tended to my needs well and was amazingly patient while I decided on what to purchase. Great service is when the item you want is no more in store and the salesperson makes an effort to call up the other branch to check if item is still available for you. If they don't offer to do that, request!

Anyways, because I spoke English with her throughout our conversation with absolutely no hint of Manglish to indicate I'm very much Malaysian which I'm able to pull off pretty well I might say, thank you very much(bagi good impression la sket kan, karang dia tak layan aku plak!) she actually had doubts despite my looking very Malay and curiously cleared her doubts by asking whether I was really of local origin or not. Hahah. Mission accomplished!

Aku dah agak kau stereotype aku! Apa? Ingat orang kaya Brunei je ke bleh masuk and beli barang kat kedai hang? Cett pooodahhh!


If a white man falls off a chair drunk, it's just a drunk. If a Negro does, it's the whole damn Negro race. --Bill Cosby

No comments:

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com