Sunday, April 16, 2006

Dubai-Cairo (Part II)

10 February 2006

After spending a night on transit in Dubai, we left for Cairo, Egypt. Of course, after more kain shopping that is. Ooh ooh! I saw the Burj Al-Arab Hotel(which is only one of the world's best hotels) from the plane which was pretty exciting because I also got to see the man-made palm-shaped island off the Dubai coast where Beckham bought his property(all that Travel & Living watching on Astro finally paid off!). I know, I get really excited over such things. The rest of the journey was spent watching movies inflight. Heheh.

We reached Cairo upon nightfall and the cold weather immediately got to us. Greeted by our tour guides, we were transferred to our bus. Lucky for us that night, traffic was almost nil. We then found out that the Africa Cup was going on and Egypt was playing that night. Otherwise, traffic would be almost impossible. Now the thing about Egypt is that only 6% of the country is populated while the other 94% is desert. That explains why Cairo's roads are always busy practically 24/7.

After the night tour and having dinner at a seafood restaurant, cars were honking away and people were singing merrily on the streets of Cairo. The tour guide informed us that Egypt had won the cup, calling for a celebration. Despite all the honking, I slept well that night.

11 February 2006

The first agenda of the day was of course to visit one the 7 wonders of the world, none other than the Great Pyramids. It's the most humongous piece of ancient thing I have ever seen! It makes you wonder how people in those days managed to erect such a legendary piece of art that still proudly stands today. Satu block pun lagi besar dari satu pemeluk oke! How impressive is that!

Small me(literally) and the Great Pyramids.


Pyramids lagi!

Me by the ruins near the Pyramids.

Si Badwi yang hendak bergambar bersama saya.

Egyptian artwork on papyrus paper.

Souvenirs.


Next up was The Great Sphinx.


The Great Sphinx.

Later, we went to a government-controlled (konnonnyelahhh!) souvenir shop which was supposed to be cheap but wasn't at all in my opinion and so we basically just looked around. You'd be surprised that some Egyptians would know a couple of Malay words and to my utter disbelief, I was greeted by "Selamat datang cik adik yang cantik jelita." Like hello! Who do you think you're kidding!? I only got a few keychains, felt like I had been ripped off in broad daylight but what the heck! You don't get to be called Cleopatra here, do you? Hahah.

We had lunch at the the residence of the Malaysian ambassador in Cairo where we had a scrumptious meal of nasi ayam and yummy Malay desserts(thank God!). Baru berapa hari pun dah rindu masakan Melayu. We were then brought to the Malaysian Embassy to have a look at a few souvenirs offering at a good discounted rate. So much for looking, I swear the makcik2 borong like the whole kedai! So yea, that's where I got a couple of crystal perfume bottles for my aunts and close friends.


In front of the Malaysian embassy with a few makciks.

That's my tour guide in shades!

That evening, we were whisked off to a perfume gallery called Alsultan Perfume Palace where the finest of essential oils and aromatherapy are stored. Some of these essence are where the top of the line French perfumes are originated from. Like Chanel, Jean Paul Gautier, Gucci and such and because these oil essence are soo fine and not mixed with any other form of chemicals, they stay on you for quite a while; hence why the French can afford not to bathe. It was a great experience of a lot of sniffing!

It was already dark when we left the perfume place and our hungry tummies were waiting to be filled. Dinner that night was at The Pharaohs where we all had dinner buffet as we smoothly cruised along River Nile.

At The Pharaohs.



That's the 1st half of Cairo for you. This time, give me a month before my next update. Hahah.

No comments:

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com