
Runner 1105!
This entry is sort of overdue but I simply had to jot something about MY FIRST EVER RUN! There were so many setbacks right from the race pack collection day up to the actual run day... I'm not even going to bother explaining in detail. I participated in the 5km Fun Run and completed it in less than 20 mins. I timed myself it was about 18 to 19 mins. I felt good nevertheless, that sense of rare accomplishment from actually running and completing it. Tapi macam wahh... tak kan hebat sangat aku ni? Tak pernah-pernah plak sebelum ni boleh lari 5km in less than 20 mins?

At Merdeka Square and still all positive even after just having changed bibs.

Kai standing tall amidst other 5km runners.
And then I later found out why... and here I shall tell you why. Because of terrible route signs (actually none!) and almost nil route marshalls, it ended up being just a 3km race! Gahhh! Sarah, Kai and I were super pissed for being left cheated and shortchanged. Even my brisk walks last longer than that!
Many runners were angered that day with the terrible management of the organizer considering it's an inaugural world-class event. It was all wrong from the start and then the run, the water stations and from what I heard even the chips in the bib/sensors. I even initially got a men's bib during race pack collection day which I had to later change to the rightful one in just minutes before the race. Like I said to Kay, I knowlah I macho but bagila female bib kot yee pun kan. Sheesh!
In all honesty I had a lot of fun nevertheless. It probably wouldn't be as fun had I ran the half or full marathon and arrived at the water stations with no water before my final 5-10km. I'd probably scream first and then die. Some had to go to 7-11's to buy drinks and some even went to the extent of drinking tap water from what I heard. I mean gosh... isn't the route and enough water just the very basic essential of ANY marathon event?
Luckily for me, it was my very first run and had decided to play safe and start off with the shortest distance (which ended up being even shorter!). I was rocking to DJ Tiesto on my iPod and felt like I was flying through. Excuse me for exaggerating but I can't help being awed at myself for actually finishing the run! Hahah. That's just how badly I anticipated myself to be. Hopefully someday, I'll be able to run the half and full marathon!

Sarah looking like she didn't even run anything, me muka dah macam lobster, Kai at peace (sebab masa ni tak tau lagi lari 3km je).

Long lines queueing for bag collection.
Anyways, enough whining about that. I'm soo there next year for the love of running. I do hope the organizers take this year's event as a great lesson and improve immensely in 2010.
On to another note, here's a special shoutout to Che Yah for completing her 10km race in record time (although takleh blah masuk division 20-24)!!! Super proud of you! Congratulazzzzionss!
Runners just do it - they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first. --Author Unknown


No comments:
Post a Comment